As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.” Acts 13:2
Text: Acts 13:1-5.
1. Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
2. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
3. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
4. So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.
5. And when they were at Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews: and they had also John to their minister.
The work of God had to be done during the early Church. The Holy Ghost had come upon the Christians in great measure persecution and hardship that came with preaching of the gospel. They were not easily frightened by the threat from the then religious leaders. With this new zeal, power and vision, the gospel was taken beyond Jerusalem and Judea, to many nations and territories. The Holy Spirit was always giving direction on the activities of the Church.
In our Bible passage, the Holy Spirit made a request from the brethren ” Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them”. The Church immediately obeyed and the two brethren were prayed for and released for the work. The obedience of the brethren and that of the whole Church was prompt and without argument.
Every believer is expected to live a life of prompt obedience to God’s word and commandment. You do not own yourself; God owns and has control over you. Be ready to yield yourself for His use and purpose. Your attitude should be “Anywhere with Jesus, I am ready to go.” Give your life, your talents and resources for God to use and you will be greatly blessed.
1 Samuel 1:24 – 28
Prayer for today
O Lord, I am wholly yours, please take this life of mine and use me, In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.