For at that time day by day there came to David to help him, until it was a great host, like the host of God.” 1 Chronicles 12:22
Text: 1 Chronicles 12:18-22
18. Then the spirit came upon Amasai, who was chief of the captains, and he said, Thine are we, David, and on thy side, thou son of Jesse: peace, peace be unto thee, and peace be to thine helpers; for thy God helpeth thee. Then David received them, and made them captains of the band.
19. And there fell some of Manasseh to David, when he came with the Philistines against Saul to battle: but they helped them not: for the lords of the Philistines upon advisement sent him away, saying, He will fall to his master Saul to the jeopardy of our heads.
20. As he went to Ziklag, there fell to him of Manasseh, Adnah, and Jozabad, and Jediael, and Michael, and Jozabad, and Elihu, and Zilthai, captains of the thousands that were of Manasseh.
21. And they helped David against the band of the rovers: for they were all mighty men of valour, and were captains in the host.
22. For at that time day by day there came to David to help him, until it was a great host, like the host of God.
The Psalmist trusted in the Lord for help and wrote thus “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD which made heaven and earth.” Family, friends or riches must never be taken as our source of help in this life. God alone is the source for meeting our needs, both physical and spiritual.
Our Bible passage shows how David experienced hard situations. King Saul developed hatred for him and he had to run for his dear life. He was rejected and became lonely. In the midst of all of these, God did not forget nor abandon him. He raised many people who helped to comfort David. God eventually delivered him and set him on the throne as king of Israel.
Today, friends of Jesus have the Holy Ghost to keep them company and comfort them in times of discouragement and trouble. His promises cover all the areas of our needs, troubles, and problems. We must trust in God with all our hearts and seek Him for grace “to help in time of need.”
Prayer for today
Prayer: O LORD, help me to trust you and find help in times of need and trouble.